Hunger and Poverty in The United States
- Feeding America projects that 42 million people (1 in 8), including 13 million children (1 in 6), may experience food insecurity in 2021.. (Feeding America, Food Insecurity and Poverty in the US.)
- Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap study reports that 38 million Americans – 11.8% of the U.S. population are food insecure. (Feeding America, Map the Meal Gap Data collected in 2020.)
- Feeding America’s, Map the Meal Gap study reports that 16.1% of children living in the U.S. – 11.7 million are food insecure. (Feeding America, Map the Meal Gap Data collected in 2020)
- The nation’s official poverty rate is 11.6%, living at or below the poverty line. (U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2021 estimate US Census)
- The number of children living in poverty in the U.S. is 14 %. (U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2021 estimate US Census)
- The Federal unemployment rate is 3.6%. (Latest data is from February 2023). Check for updates at the U.S. Department of Labor website which posts unemployment rates at http://www.bls.gov/cps/.
Please let your friends, family and business associates know they can learn more about national solutions to hunger by visiting www.feedingamerica.org.
For more information about Georgia Mountain Food Bank and how you can get involved, contact us at 770-534-4111.
Stay in the know!
Sign up to get the latest Food Bank news right to your inbox.